Sunday, June 14, 2009

I am sore - WARNING, GORY PHOTO (and a weekly wrap)

Saturday was supposed to be a 90 min ride. In stead, it was a 5 minute ride.

Was going around a sharpish corner at the bottom of a hill. It was a bit wet, I must have hit the paint on the centre line, and my wheels slid out from under me, and I skidded across the road into the verge.

I badly grazed me right hand side (in particular my thigh, which had a good chunk taken out of it, and a couple of actual wounds), broke my rear derailleur hanger, damaged the saddle, right shifter, maybe the pedal (not sure yet).


And now my inner thigh is getting sore???

So probably no swimming for a while, hopefully I can get back to gentle running/cycling relatively soon.

Otherwise, it was a good week!

* Monday: nice run - 30 mins, 5.49 km, 158 AHR;
* Tuesday: another nice (easy) run and easy swim (focused on drills) - 20 min run, 3.01 km, 144 AHR; and 1 hour swim, 1700 m (shoulder getting a bit sore though);
* Wednesday: 2 x commute (felt really good on way in, amazing what a difference not riding in sub zero temperatures makes) - way back is a gradual climb, hence will usually be slower: 56.49 mins, 26.63 km, 150 AHR; 1:01, 26.68 km, 148 AHR;
* Thursday: nice run - 20 mins, 3.52 km, 160 AHR (decided to move swim to weekend to swim with Kate - but for obvious reasons didn't happen).

7 comments:

  1. OUCH! Poor you. At least it was wet so you slid rather than just cheese grating yourself on the road.

    I hope you have plenty of Tegaderm for that rash. It's the best stuff for it, although it can get a little smelly if you don't change it regularly :P

    I hope it wasn't your hot, new bike that you crashed, or at least that you didn't damage the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed the new bike (I've loaned the Avanti out). No damage to frame (I don't believe) - just snapped rear derailleur hanger, scratched rear derailleur, damaged saddle, right shifter, maybe pedal. Doesn't appear to be scratches on frame (just me). Oh and my Belgian bib shorts and right kneeker ain't in the best condition (similar to Bella's after her accident).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, those are such nice shorts, too! Hopefully your hanger took the brunt of the impact and your derailleur and shifter are OK. It would be tragic to trash them when they're still so new. Battle scars do give it character so it doesn't look identical to Kate's, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Wound looks nice and clean. Did you have to scrub it??? eeeek! Is there an argument for shaving your legs because of incidents like this? And last question ... what part of your leg is that???

    I lost the back wheel 2 or 3 times on Sunday but I was only going about 5km/hr coming downhill so even if I came off I wouldn't have done that. It was very slippery out there after Saturday's rain!

    Hope it heals quickly and you can get back at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike- he says it's his thigh. I disagree :) Let's just say I had to be careful taking the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No scrubbing; I had a bath, got a couple of dirty bits out, used some iodine, but the shorts didn't rip very much, so kept it fairly clean.

    It's my upper thigh. Even when I shave my legs, I don't shave that high up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha... always shave... and always the top ;-)
    Good reason to have an 'old' training bike for training in the wet, winter.
    Show the wound to as many people as you can... good for sympathy and hardness factor!

    ReplyDelete