Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cold. So very, very cold.

I rode in this morning. All in all it was fairly pleasant. But it was cold. I'm not sure what the temperature was in Cambridge overnight, but it was -4 degrees Celsius in Hamilton, and must have been something like that in Cambridge. Add to that the wind chill, and it was cold. So cold in fact that the top of my drink bottle kept freezing over.

Once I got myself sorted, I headed out at about 6:50 (so not that long before the sun came up). About 3 minutes in, a bolt came loose on my mountain bike light, so I lost one of the lights (not a problem this morning, but possibly more of a problem for the commute home, given it will be darker).

My fingers were cold before I even took off, and didn't get much better. I was wearing polyprop gloves under windproof gloves, but even that wasn't quite warm enough - so next on my shopping list are some hardcore winter gloves. About 30 mins in (after lots of finger wriggling) I started to get a bit of feeling back. My big toes also got cold, but only after about 30 mins (I was wearing Icebreaker tramping socks with windproof booties). Not sure what I can do to make that better (another pair of socks, perhaps - but then I don't know if I'll fit into my cycling shoes!).

So cold. But I enjoyed it. Oddly enough, my torso and head got quite warm (the torso perhaps too warm - maybe I was wearing too many layers...) It took me an hour to do the 26.6 km, so not too terrible given how hard I must have been working to keep my extremities warm. I probably pushed a little too hard, but I had to be in Court at 9:00, so didn't want to be too late.

5 comments:

  1. Brrrrrrrrr! I'm actually quite glad I don't have your commitment if it means not freezing my fingers and toes off.

    What leggings do you wear? I'm looking around for nice windproof tights so if you have any suggestions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but then you are a complete and utter pansy. I'm wearing my kneekers, and some NZO peanut 3/4 tights over the top. Legs aren't the big a problem - just hands and feet =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad but true =/

    Bare shins on minus something mornings sounds a bit nuts, though. I'll stick to bib tights until at least November. Then I might transition to leg warmers and possibly knee warmers in mid-summer. I think I've worn shorts alone about twice in the past 18 months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As it turns out, I got some winter bibs from Tinei, which rock. They are windproof on the front of the legs and lower back. They don't have a chamois, so you need to waer them over the top of your shorts. Wore them this morning - superb.

    ReplyDelete