Monday, July 13, 2009

A fun day's mountain biking at Woodhill

I've been keen to head out to Woodhill and check it out, and a day mountain biking is a good way to get base miles in.

Woodhill is about 30 minutes north of Auckland, just south of Helensville.

Saturday was wet and windy - perfect weather for mountain biking (particularly compared to road riding). Plus Woodhill is very sandy (and relatively sheltered), so it's a great place to ride when it's wet.

We headed out and did what was supposed to be a 6km beginner's course (Nature's Valley) - not only was it a reasonably difficult introduction, but we must have taken a wrong turn, and took a while to get back. After getting back we had a break and had mountain bike lunch (always rolls, cheese slices and chips).

The we headed out and did the Auckland Eye course, which is 10km. It rocked! Loved it, particularly Spaghetti. Woodhill doesn't have massive climbs, but quite a few short, sharp ones, and lots of fun downhills. I appear to have learnt something at the MTB skills course, because I was heaps better doing downhill, and was gliding over bumps. And I was going over steps and rollovers with ease. I did crash once, but that was on the flat...

Ended up doing about 22km. Kate got heps better, and was never too far behind me.

After cleaning our bikes (and ourselves) and packing up the car, we headed to the Hallertau Brewery, had some fries and a tasting tray (samples of all five of their micro brewed beers) - fantastic end to the day. The weather closed in, so it seems we finished at the right time.

I think I like this mountain biking thing. Once we both live in the Waikato, I can imagine semi-regular trips to Rotorua (particularly if I want to get good enough to qualify for Xterra Worlds one day).

No comments:

Post a Comment