Sunday, December 13, 2009

June to the Half Ironman, a comparison

All my workouts are logged in Buckeye Outdoors, and I can do nifty things like total up my workouts.

I know it's not entirely accurate, because I'm a week out, but between 1 June and the Half last year I did the following:
  • 43 runs, total time 29:42:13, total distance 205.2 km;
  • 68 bikes, total time 88:28:21, total distance 1519.9 km; and
  • 87 swims, total time 69:55:27; total distance 98.7 km.
This year, I have done the following:
  • 70 runs, total time 51:23:05, total distance 547.2 km;
  • 78 bikes, total time 111:40:03, total distance 2284.9; and
  • 39 swims, total time 31:05:35, total distance 53.6 km.
So, compared to last year, I have:
  • Run 73% more time, and 167% more distance;
  • Biked 26% more time, and 50% more distance; and
  • Swum 55% less time, and 46% less distance.
Overall, I'm really happy with this. I've seen solid improvements in my cycling, and bigger ones on the run (not surprising, given I've managed to run a whole heap more). My average heart rates for both have been dropping consistently, and my power on the bike seems to have been increasing of late.

The swimming is a disappointment, and the shoulder obviously didn't help. I've been feeling a lot better lately, so hopefully I'm not embarrassingly slow at Rotorua. I should note, that last year I swam up to five times a week, because I often couldn't run, and in the overall scheme of things, I'd much rather be running.

I'm really looking forward to the weekend. I know I can do the race, and in a reasonably respectable time. I'm confident I'll do better than last year, and I'm feeling fitter.

Last year was 5:18, with a 39 (incl transition) swim, 2:54 (incl transition bike) and 1:43 run. The aim this year is sub 40 swim, 2:45 bike and 1:35 run, for a sub 5 hour finish time. Doable? Maybe; it's hard to tell, really. I never know what the conditions will be like, how I'll feel on the day, etc. Will I be crushed if I don't do that? Not really, as long as I go as hard as I can. Will I be thrashing myself to get there? Damn straight.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck!

    Gonna be good to be out there on the course with you and Kate.

    ReplyDelete